Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Paro - La Espero

Kicking around Youtube this evening, I found some songs in Esperanto.  Inevitably, I suppose, these two great conlangs in my life have finally met.  Certainly there was some pollination from Esperanto in Sandic's early days (The greatest example of influence I can think of off of my head is the inclusion of -ian (Esperanto -en) as an allative.), but carefully I kept the baby language incubated away from this larger, better-developed and loved language.

Now that Sandic stands on its own and hardly skins its own knees anymore, I've decided it's safe to play with others.

So when I found a video of "La Espero" and remembered the beauty of that song and the happiness it brought into my life during my learning of Esperanto, I thought- what better way to pay homage to the language that instilled in me the idea that a constructed tongue can be as wonderful and functional as a naturally-arising one by translating the best-known work in that language?

---





pa imprîab baxféd recsa nabei, 
ó imprîâ malēî paelai biab bamée.
lēacan ba lēyuc katiadi,  
dé mead meadian obaféd

---

Into the world came a new feeling
on the earth a strong call showed itself
by the wings of the helping wind
may it go from place to place.

No comments:

Post a Comment