Friday, November 2, 2012

Jia pérao baljekat!

:)  A little while ago I found a challenge on /r/conlang in which a person is supposed to develop a conlang to a "workable" point.  the goal is to have the conlang sufficiently developed by November 10th to translate the first paragraph of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I decided that I'd put on my "challenge accepted" face and give it a shot!  My monster of choice is Baljek, Sandic's up-until-recently hardly-known cousin-language.

The Wytn equivalent of English's hybridness, Baljek has a Weyr substrate and a large number of Badis-language borrowings in the vocabulary.  The result of the crossbreeding of old Weyr and old Badis is Baljek, which sounds and looks quite a bit different than its southern cousin.

I present below the first six or seven McGuffey Reader exercises, which I've been using to help me flesh out the language's grammar.

----
Lesson I.

Lé kola
Lé kola te daen.
Lé kola so daen.
Lé kola daen.

Lesson II.
Lé meka.  Lé samer.
Lé meka daél to samer?
Lé meka daél to samer.
Lé meka te daél to samer.
Lé meka so daél to samer.

Lesson III.
Lé hîsa daél to ufei éka?
Lé gal alét hîsat.
Da daél pa ufei éka.

Lesson IV.
Lé tali ran daél to "box".
Lé nibo te daen dé "box".
Lé tal damal en?

Lesson V.
Jia pérao!  Raba jia pérao.  Anat jia pérao.
Jia pérao!  Egat alét rab.
Ana émal uj rabat?

VI.
Ana émal uj rabat.
Jia peerao! Egat é élét.
Ana émal res lî rabat.
Jia péén fiat l'iares rabat.


VIII.
Ned so aél l'atan ian lé tal.


-- On a side note, who thought it was a good idea to skip from "Can Ana catch Rab?" to "Ned has fed the chicken?"  What??  Simple verbs to complex past tenses??  Brain-breaker, that one!  I had only just puzzled out how I wanted to handle "let me ____" :p

Anyway, I can now use complex future and past tenses in Baljek!  Hopefully the Universal Declaration of Human Rights will get done this weekend before the deadline. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment