Thursday, December 6, 2012

Ba perad bafac


When I was a child and there was work to be done, a group of us together would sing a song to distract our minds and help the time pass.  This is true even today, though I have no group to sing with.  The old method has been adapted to my ways, and I still sing to myself or hum to myself when I've got something to do.

I was cleaning the house today and simultaneously surfing the web (this is possible, I assure you) when I came across this song on youtube.  It's about six minutes through, and by the time the first playthrough was done, I was singing along in Sandic.  A spontaneous translation!

Anyway, I thought it worth sharing here.  Perhaps one day I will collect all the Sandic songs and make a CD. :)

A note: At first, I was singing "ba reejilian" ("towards the ocean"), but I changed it later to "ba reejil gre" ("until the ocean/to the ocean") because it preserves the original rhyme.  Both work here, I guess.  It's just a matter of personal preference.

Order of texts: Sandic -- Smooth English of Sandic -- Original English



*

Ba perad bafac, 
bafac wî bazefa
ba perad bafac
ba réjil gre

lēé ama iab o(lēé)kre
gezo lēé yahl felē
lēé ada iab o(lēé)kre
ba réjil gre

---

The river flows,
it flows and grows
the river flows
until the ocean

O mother, carry me
I myself am your child
O father, carry me
until the ocean

---

The river is flowing,
flowing and growing
the river is flowing
down to the sea

Mother, carry me
your child I will always be
Father, carry me
down to the sea



* image from here

No comments:

Post a Comment