Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Lēé îbú - O moon


Last night as I was falling asleep, this song popped into my head.  It's yet another one from the CD of chants I had as a kid. Needless to say, I ended up scribbling it out in Sandic.

The picture below is of my actual writing-out of the song as I worked on it (at one in the morning, trying to get it out of my head so I could sleep).  I figured someone might get a kick out of seeing the actual messiness that translations can sometimes produce.

Yes, I write things down in Sandic script.  I've been doing it for so long that it's sometimes easier this way- particularly if I'm sleepy.

As to the formatting of the picture- yes, I know it's horrible and could do with some cropping.  I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it on a linux machine, though. I give up. It's seeable!  That's all I really care about.

The text on the left-hand is what appears below.  The text on the right side reads (albeit sideways) - "Lēé îbú iadkai / kabrelēi pal nât" ("O moon, helper / shining (there) outside").
(If you look closely, you can see that I forgot to dot the "a" on "pal" there, too.)

Order of texts: Sandic -- Smooth English of Sandic -- Original English

--

Lēé îbú iadkai
kabrelēi pal toa
fian opétaen
bamée ba marka

Lēé îbú kasai
ici pébrelē
fian opétamal
raactab opétaen

--

O moon, helper
shining up above
smile down to me
your face is showing

O moon (which) is knowing
you are shining silver
inspire me
shine truth (to me).

--

Moon, sister moon
Shining so high
Smile down upon me
Full face in the sky

Moon, sister moon
with your silver glow
Whisper your secrets
Tell me what you know

No comments:

Post a Comment