Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Xam ba ame ba jjum maui - Prayer of White Bison Woman (White Buffalo woman)

I've come across this in both the book of fables that I've had since a little kid, and now in the internet.  I figure the universe was trying to tell me something!

I find it sad that this is meant to be a song in English, but the way that it's translated makes it very unsingable. I've fixed this for Sandic, and sung it for you below!  Here, then, is "Prayer of White Bison Woman" (also called "Prayer of White Buffalo (calf) Woman".

Sandic doesn't distinguish between "I walk" and "I am walking", which made this all the easier for me to translate.

Order of texts: English -- Sandic -- Smooth English of Sandic
---

With visible breath I am walking.
A voice I am sending as I walk.
In a sacred manner I am walking.
With visible tracks I am walking.
In a sacred manner I walk.



Skee uraugi yktreeka
Miib ytora meer treekaa
Wwee daeyuui ytreekaa
iirabin uraugin yktreekaa
Wwee daeyuui yktreekaa 



With visible breath I am walking
I give a call out as I am walking
In a sacred manner I am walking
With visible footprints I am walking
In a sacred manner I am walking.

No comments:

Post a Comment