Saturday, July 27, 2013

Béno ankoan -- Power of Animals

Found this cute but not-rhyming song in English randomly on the internet today.  No idea who created it or why (the only copy I found seems to exist here), but I translated it into Sandic anyway.

Incidentally, this is my first song in Sandic ever done with an actual accompanying instrument (excluding hand-patting like has been done in the past).  I used the drum I've had sitting in my closet for a while.  Maybe I should make this a more regular thing and try to learn to play actual music with my songs?

I love chants, what can I say?  Some people prefer pop music... I like simple "let's sing these while on a hike" kind of songs. You have to imagine this wouldn't be so nicely sung when someone is in the grip :p

Order of texts: Sandic -- Smooth English of Sandic -- Original English


Online recording software >>

Béno ankoan,
fian opéféd,
lēenan kalēniali
pa me opéahl
mér en me,
otema herle
mér madîjj me
otema boa amai
mér lēnial me
otema helakolé
ba verc me obaahlra nokcso

--

Power of the animals,
come to me,
all the spirits hiding
be in me
when I am running
let me do as the deer do
when I fight
let me do as a mother bear does
when I am hiding
let me do as a fox does
my blows
let them be as (those of) a snake

--

Animal Spirits
Come to us now
Vanishing Spirits
Come live in us
when we run
let us run like the deer
when we fight
let us fight like a momma bear
when we hide
let us hide like a fox
learn to strike
like a rattlesnake

No comments:

Post a Comment