Sunday, February 2, 2014

Gayatri Mantra in Sandic -- Ba kant saveturr

Looking up chants, came across this one. It calmed me down pretty well.

I used a translation off of Wikipedia (or rather, a couple different translations) to create the Sandic here.

I noticed the Wikipedia article claims each one of these lines has 8 syllables. That's not the case for the video I learned it from. Given I learned to chant it from the video, I followed that. I'm sure no one around here is going to be offended and correct me, after all, when I chant in Sandic.

The first line has five syllables, the second nine, third nine, fourth 8th, fifth 1. Like I said, I'm not sure what's up with that, but okay. Works fine for me. ;)

Order of texts: Original Sanskrit -- Sandic -- English

----

Oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ
Oṃ tát savitúr váreṇ(i)yaṃ
bhárgo devásya dhīmahi
dhíyo yó naḥ pracodáyāt
Oṃ

---






Om priia skee wii le:yar
Om frn saveturr ba aenab
auzeri kabrele: otawwtade
tsaman aww wwiab okale:uma
OM


---


Om, earth, air and sky
Om, the shining/revealing/pleasant light of Savitur
which is good, he who shines, may we take it in
By our prayers may he raise us up
Om

No comments:

Post a Comment