Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Uuldin otoka -- Miracles Happen (Prince of Egypt)

My sister and I loved this movie when we were little kids. I remember us trying to learn the Hebrew parts and sing along.

We weren't Christian, but the imagery was beautiful and the songs were so catchy that we sang them anyway.

Funny how much songs stick with you, isn't it? I'm 23 now and I still find myself humming this off and on. I haven't seen this movie since I was 13 or 14.

I was watching some Disney songs in Latin the other day and came across this one, and was shocked I hadn't yet translated it. Remedied now!

There is more to this song that I didn't sing. I put it at the bottom. Maybe I'll sing the full thing some other time!

Oh, here's the song.

Order of texts: Original English -- Sandic -- Smooth English of Sandic

----

Many nights we prayed
With no proof anyone could hear
In our hearts a hope for a song
We barely understood

Now we are not afraid
Although we know there's much to fear
We were moving mountains
Long before we knew we could

There can be miracles
When you believe
Though hope is frail
It's hard to kill

Who knows what miracles
You can achieve
When you believe somehow you will
You will when you believe

----


Click above to listen to the song.


Nosran awwxtsam eerain
fii aan wwiab dania babra awwneot sa
pa le:enan aww kant baxgre
biab nuale: awwxfe

inee awwneot tem
jjiave aan matemin omee-e
jjujjabin otiab awwxpeet
le:ia sa frn ba mee-aa

uuldin otoka
meer ba deeva
jjiave lev paro
baahl gator utetuinia

kia kasa frn tekin
otemee-e
meer ba deeva peetemeeaa
biab peetema deeva

----

We prayed for many nights
we do not know if anything heard us
in our souls, a song appeared
which we barely understood

behold, we are not afraid
even though frightful things appear
we broke (down) mountains
before knowing it was a possibility

miracles happen
during belief
despite the weakness of hope
it cannot be killed

who knows which (miracles)
will appear
during belief, you will be able to (know)
you'll do it with belief.

------------------------

Rest of the song:

In this time of fear
when prayer's so often proved in vain
Hope seems like the summer birds
to have swiftly flown away

And now I'm standing here
with heart so full I can't explain
Seeking faith and speaking words
I never thought I'd say!

---

Meer jeeb ba temra
tsam mee-e daniab baneot ma
bamaso mee-e wwee lee thiian
ian fovra baxle:anee

a zum fele: ytovo
le:ena me skrania bamasra
heb kaxsui, miialabin ymii
amal oahl utorain!

---

During this great fear
prayer apparently does nothing
it does just like a flock of birds
and flies to far away

but here I stand
my soul is joyful for some reason
peace has been found, and I say words
which have been given by inspiration*!


------------------
*amal is a word used for divine inspiration and the visions one receives in a trance or during meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment