Monday, August 20, 2012

I'm in a book apparently! And also now we can spell things aloud in Sandic.

About a year ago (this is how bad I am about answering comments and such) someone left me a message asking me where I had published the Sandic dictionary.  I never responded and never finished reading the comment- mostly because I'm kind of reclusive and didn't want to tell the person.  For the longest time, I looked at this comment and never actually properly read it.  Around May, though, I looked past that frightening first question and read the rest- discovery hit me.  Someone had included Sandic in a book about notable conlangs!

Now unfortunately I accidentally deleted all comments so I can't respond to that person and thank them for giving me a heads up.  I did end up getting the book, though.  It just came today.  While nothing ground-breaking is included (pretty much just info gleaned from my Frathwiki article), it's fun to see myself in a book that I didn't write.

I've been dancing around giving the book name, so let me just out with it.  It's called  "A dictionary of Made-up Languages" by a guy named Stephen Rogers.  Obligatory stealing-bandwidth-from-amazon image here:


Fun book to flip through.   Pretty much every page has a new language mentioned on it.  In a book with around 220 pages devoted to languages, well...  That's a lot of glancing around.

I was doing that today and came across something about spelling.  I forget what exactly I read- all I know is that it prompted me to spend about fifteen minutes in my room spelling things aloud in Sandic while grinning like an idiot.  Why have I never done this before?  Too much fun.

Rules for spelling are simple- consonants make their sound followed by "ih" - so for K, say " kih"- and vowels make their sounds (for a, say "ah").  Y is an exception- it says "yih".

So, to spell:

"jae"-"shi ah ee"
"kaevo" - "ki ah ee vi oh"
"dîo" - "di ii oh"


4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you for the reply and for reading. :) Interesting name!

      Delete
  2. I considred titling the book, SANDIC AND SOME OTHER CONLAGS, but the publisher had the final say. :)

    A guy named Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First and foremost, THANK YOU for including me in your book. My language is pretty out of its league there, but I can't tell you how awesome it is to just randomly see someone else acknowledging its existence- and in print, of all things. This might be the coolest thing to ever happen to me.

      Second- Thanks for the comment! I forget how small of a world the internet is at times. My little corner of the web is usually so quiet that I forget that people can see it! You are an awesome person, and thank you for absolutely making my year by having my little nothing in your project. :)

      Delete