Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Jémé dúsniati


We went by Target (tar-zhay, remember) this past weekend to get a few things.  While there, I saw a book of children's fables for a dollar- you bet I snagged it.  This is one of the fables from inside of it, called "the plane tree".  (I'm pretty sure they meant " plain", but oh well.)

This story, though short and to the point, presented a few issues for me.  How, for example, to say " you aren't worthy of" ...?  I ended up (after some help from #conlang) deciding on saying, "pian utorai baneot ahl"- "it is not given to you".

For that matter, why did jéúmé have an extra ú which is never pronounced anymore?  And how about kaejal?  Why not just write it kéjal?

This was a good head-scratcher of a story, then, and resulted in a few vocabulary simplifications.  I look forward to doing more!

Order of texts:
Sandic - Gloss of Sandic

---


*

Jémé dúsniati

Fédkan oxahl jé pa yéâ ba mlî oxtréka.  Jéméb, kaejan ba maoa oxgriaw, oxraug ta fédkan, wî pa noalan ba jémé oxade ân bamo.  Kabamoin wî ba kéjalabin karaugin, oxfe ân jémé dúsniati baxara.

" Neot bama ba jémé dúsniati!"  tré faé ta fédkan tasnidian ka kaxmî.  " Madabin baneot ora, wî mér féúluc, o graŵib oyum ta kéjalan ba ivin!"
" Neot felē yma?"  Rial baxmî ba jémé dúsniati.  "Iné pa noalan félcoin me lēé ta jémarain lēébamo.  Fian lēéneot kaja - a frn me lenadabin lēémî!  Noalan me lēian utorain oneot ahl."

---

The normal tree

There were two travellers walking in the light of the sun.  They saw a tree whose branches spread wide, and agreed that they would rest in its shade.  While lying beneath it and looking at its foliage, they understood that it was a normal tree.

"Normal trees do nothing!"  One of the two travellers said to his friend.  "They don't make fruits, and in the winter every one of their leaves fall to the ground!"
" I don't do anything?" The tree responded.  " You're lying here in my cool shade, you fools.  You don't thank me, but instead speak badly of me.  You don't deserve my shade."




* - image found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment