Monday, May 14, 2012

Jaeact Uxsorei - The Forgotten Language

I adore Shel Silverstein.  He almost always has something worthwhile and wonderful to say.  I came across this poem last night while bumping around the internet, and well..  The title alone bought it admission into Sandic. :)  I like the rhythm of it.  Feels like something that (were I immensely more talented, perhaps) I would have written.



Jaeact Uxsorei
Srîtnia jaeactab ta enfelan biab exjae,
Srîtnia ivin ta ostonébin lé jjurna otiab exfe,
Srîtnia skra délewan ta starrlen exaen,
wî pa tcba me ba késacian exjae.
Srîtnia ivin ta basabin ta tsaren otiab exbra wî otian rial exmî
wî berkiac exjilër skra ivin ta ialthan ba jéjé kayumin
Srîtnia jaeactab ta enfelan biab exjae...
Iat kia baahl?
Iat kia baahl?

Forgotten language
At some point I spoke it, the language of the flowers
At some point I understood the words of any caterpillar,
At some point I laughed because of the secrets of the starlings,
and in my bed I spoke to flies.
At some point I understood all of the questions of the crickets and answered them,
and out of sympathy cried because of all the falling snowflakes
at some point I spoke it, the language of the flowers...
What is it again, already?
What is it again, already?

Forgotten Language - Shel Silverstein
 Once I spoke the language of the flowers,
Once I understood each word the caterpillar said,
Once I smiled in secret at the gossip of the starlings,
And shared a conversation with the housefly
in my bed.
Once I heard and answered all the questions
of the crickets,
And joined the crying of each falling dying
flake of snow,
Once I spoke the language of the flowers. . . .
How did it go?
How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment