Sunday, June 24, 2012

Ancestry

Another, from Stephen Crane.  " Ancestry."

No new words.

Audio on the main post for those who care to hear.  I'm considering making a "mother of all things spoken Sandic" post sometime, for inclusion on the right-hand nav bar.  Suggestions, comments?

Order of texts:
Original
Sandic
Smooth English


Once I saw mountains angry,
And ranged in battle-front. 
Against them stood a little man; 
Aye, he was no bigger than my finger. 
I laughed, and spoke to one near me, 
"Will he prevail?" 

"Surely," replied this other; 
"His grandfathers beat them many times." 
Then did I see much virtue in grandfathers -- 
At least, for the little man 
Who stood against the mountains.

--


Srîtnia ta jjujjabin éngúin otiahb exraug
jebé op baxahl mead ân madîjj
pal tau op kaxovo kémâ kéi, trénui.
Felë exaen, iné jutiian exjae,
"Bal ân kategalën?"

"Rac baahl." Rial baxmî ba juti;
"Adan ta adan ka éra oxgalënra."
Iné felë exfe skra kia oahl erinin ta éradan --
a faé ba kémâ kéi
wwak katovo pal tau ta jjujjan.

--

Once I saw the mountains angry
their bodies turned into battle-grounds
before them stood one small man, all alone.
I laughed, and to another person spoke-
"Will he succeed?"

"Yes, he will."  The other replied;
"His father's fathers won against them many times."
And then I understood the importance of grandfathers-
at least for the little man
who stood there in front of the mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment