Saturday, June 9, 2012

A scene from Pocahontas.


When I was a kid, I adored this movie.  A friend mentioned a scene from it last night, and I told her I'd translate it for her.  Here you are!  No new words, sadly.

Image found here.

Order of text: 
Original English
Sandic
Gloss.

------------------------------------

"What is my path?  How will I ever find it?"
"Kia fias me baahl?  'Wwhé bal ân biab etesu ra?"
"What path my it-is?  How is-it that it-acc I-will-find really?"

"Your mother asked me the same thing."
"Jéd wî axbas ba ama pé fian."
 "That also she-past-ask the mother your to.me."

"She did?  What did you tell her?"
"Balra ân axbas?  Atian kiab péxmî?"
"It.is-true that she-past-ask? To.her what.acc you-past-say?"

"I told her to listen.  All around you are spirits, child!  They live in the Earth, the Water, the Sky.  If you listen, they will guide you."
"Atian exmî ân otabra.  Pal ivi pa mead pé lëenan oahl, lëé gezo!  Omect pa Grawwi, pa Kaevo, pa Lëyar.  Fî ân pétebra, pian otemée."
"To.her I-past-say that sugg-she-listen.  At everything in place your spirits they-are, O child!  They-live in Earth, in Water, in Sky.  If that you-future-listen, to.you they-future-show."

"I hear the wind!"
"Lëyucab biab ebra!"
"Wind-acc it.acc I-hear!"

"Yes, what is it telling you"?"
"Pian kiab bamî?"
"To.you what.acc it-say?"

"I don't understand."
"A yneot fe."
"But I-not understand."

"Kué kué natura- you will understand.  Listen with your heart, you will understand.  Let it break upon you like a wave upon the sand..."
"Kué kué natura- pétefe ra.  Rave pé opébra, pétefe ra.  Obaféd(co wwhé) kaevo réjgraoian..."
"Kué kué natura- you-future-understand really.  Heart your sugg-you-listen, you-future-understand really.  Sugg-it-come-(true.comparison like) water shore-to..."

"It's saying something is coming!  Strange clouds...? "
"...Bamî ân dania wwian baféd!  Jelëyun neodúsniatinnia..."
"...It-say that thing.uncertain to.us it-goes!  Clouds strange.uncertain..."

"Listen with your heart, you will understand."
"Rave pé opébra- biab pétefe ra."
"Heart your sugg-you-listen- it.acc you-future-understand really."

"What do you see?"
"Kiab baahl ân péraug?"
"What.acc it-is that you-see?"

"Clouds!  Strange clouds!"
"Jelëyun zum oahl!  Jelëyun neodúsniatinra!"
"Clouds here they-are!  Clouds strange.certain!"

---

"Look at it, Wiggins.  An entire new world, chock full of gold- just waiting for *me*."
"Meadab biab opéraug, pé Wwigans.  Imprîâ nabecoi baahl, pal ivi baahl alba - *iab* kagrei."
"Place.acc it.acc sugg-you-look, O Wwigans.  World new-true.comparison-adj it-is, at everything it.is gold- I.acc active-wait-adj."

No comments:

Post a Comment