Sunday, September 30, 2012

Kriani baahl hamar aww

I had a rather musical childhood, and for that am eternally grateful to both my parents and my environment in general.  I have a song for about every mood!  Sometimes they appear to me unexpectedly even when I haven't heard or thought about them in a long while- that's the case with this particular one.

"May the circle be open" is a common parting-song at paganish gatherings, and is sung while moving counterclockwise along the circle-area which is used for workings.  Sometimes people sing it just by itself, though- which is what I started spontaneously doing at work the other evening. :)  Being that I am who I am, of course this song was Sandicified.



Order of texts: Sandic - English of Sandic


*

Kriani baahl hamar aŵ,
iné uxtiaktai
he deya aŵ pa rave pé obaahl

lēain aŵtúraj
lēain iné aŵféd
iné lēain ejj aŵtúraj

---

Our circle is whole/full
behold it is knitted together
may the peace of our honored one be in your heart

happily we meet
behold happily we depart
behold happily we meet again.

---

A note on the translation:
The first two lines in English in the original are "May the circle be open but unbroken".  I translated this as "Our circle is whole/full, it is knitted together."  Why?  I liked the imagery for that better, and no one else but me is likely to ever sing this song in Sandic. :D

To be more accurate, though, and supposing someone wanted something truer to the original English, one could also say "Kriani baahl hamar aŵ, gator utepéti", "our circle is whole/complete, and will never be broken".  This also fits the melody of the song.

The third line, "he deya aŵ pa rave pé obaahl", "May the peace of our honored one be in your heart" is rendered in the original English as "may the peace of the god(dess) be ever in your heart".  Being that some people I know don't have gods or goddesses as the central part of their practice (myself included), I figured "honored one(s)" to be a good compromise.

Again, if one would want to be more faithful to the original English, one could say "he jwia aŵ" (the peace of our goddess) or "he jwr aŵ" (the peace of our god), or even "he jwran aŵ" (the peace of our gods).  As an added bonus, "he lēiakéman aŵ" (the peace of our ancestors) also fits in that spot. :D



*from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment