Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Ba neousai -- The Stranger, by Charles BAUDELAIRE

Found this as I was flipping through a large old book of world classics.  Instantly fell in love.  I've felt like this before- the stranger, the one without attachment except to the beauty of the world.  And who hasn't, at some point in their lives?

It's a simple dialogue, with no new words.  I'm starting to get more confident that the construction "frn ___ kriani" is the proper way to render "full of___".  I'm often lukewarn to such constructions at first (same with "the thirty friends", "ta tasnidan oxahl kee soiran") and then later on accept them.  This one is finally starting to "click", and hardly ever sets off my "this isn't quite right" sensor anymore.  Makes me happy.

<strike>I'll try and get an audio file of this at some point.  As my laptop is still broken, and I'm waiting for news back (talking to YOU, Asus), not sure when that'll be.</strike>   So, I've gotten an audio file done.  Sorry for the poor quality and the mistakes in it.  It was kind of a one-shot thing.  This was my first (and only) attempt.  Normally I edit stumbles out, but no chance to here.

 Hopefully things'll get back to better quality in the future!

Order of texts: Sandic -- Original English

-----



Ba neousai - Charles Baudelaire, The Stranger

Fian olēémî, lēé ba kémâ frn delewan kriani- kiab baahl ân siadra lēése- adab pé, amab pé, kolnúb ú kadab?
Felē adab, amab, kolnúb ú kadab yneot lēlét felē.
Bal tasnidabin pé?
Iné ân ostonéb lēéxmî, frn ba gator felē ysa.
bal metokyab?
Frn mead ba iat yneot sa.
Bal wenab?
Biab yméaig ân se, biab ba jwia gator katemalēli.
Bal albab?
biab yfidaco ŵé jwrab lēéfida.
a kiab baahlra ân lēése, lēé ba neousai ba neoduusniatira?
ta lēyucabin otiab yse ra...  ta lēyucabin ŵak kafacin... pal toa... pal toa... ta lēyucabin deyarain!


-----

Tell me, enigmatic man, whom do you love the best?  Your father, or your mother, or your sister, or your brother?
I have neither father, nor mother, nor sister, nor brother.
Your friends?
You are using a word whose meaning remains unknown to me to this very day.
Your country?
I do not know under what latitude it lies.
Beauty?
I would love her gladly, goddess and immortal.
Gold?
I hate it as much as you hate God.
Well then!  What do you love, extraordinary stranger?
I love the clouds … the passing clouds … over there … over there … the marvelous clouds!

No comments:

Post a Comment