Thursday, January 19, 2012

I don't know if I've ever shared this one, but...

It's amusing enough to make it worthwhile for a second time even if I have.

While translating "The North Wind and the Sun"a while back, I got bored about halfway through (If I'm remembering correctly) and sat down to write a rhyme about it. This rhyme can be sung (and I have a file somewhere with me singing it; I just have to figure out how to feed Youtube mp3s as opposed to movie formats, in order to share).

---

Lëyuc dé rej


Lëyuc dé rej wî ba mlî
dé tré dé jut
oxmî

ân faé op tek katema
ân ba fédka
togab kabrú

kateahl (siad)paelai!

---

Bad gloss:
Wind of north

Wind of north and the sun
to one another
they said

that which of them could make
the traveler
take off his cloak

that would be strong(est)!


--
Smooth English:

The north wind and the sun
spoke to one another,
saying-

That whichever one of them could
cause the traveler to
take off his cloak

That one would be strongest!

No comments:

Post a Comment